Vazhapoo is banana blossom and is said to be very good for the stomach.Typically there is only one blossom /flower per plantain tree. After there is a blosom it is let to mature and eventually the tree bears plantains/bananas.The tricky part is removing the stamen. its very time consuming to remove the stamen and the nimble outer sheath of every floret.
What you need to prepare Vazhapoo Poriyal:
- Banana flower – 1
- Sambar Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Asafotida Powder - a pinch
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Coconut gratings – 2 tablespoon
- Curry Leaves – few
- Salt to taste
- Remove the big skin (bract) and take out the florets found underneath. In the florets, you will find a string in the middle and a rubbery skin outside. Remove both from each floret. Then chop all the floretss into tiny bits and put in water mixed with little butter milk. This will avoid discolouration of the florets.
- Wash well and put the chopped florets in a vessel and add just enough water to cover them. Cook for two to three minutes or till the florets are soft. Remove from stove and drain the water. Cool it. When it is cold, take out a handful of cooked florets and squeeze out the excess water and keep aside. To this add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Keep it for atleast ten minutes.
- In a kadai put the oil and add mustard seeds and when it pops up add the urad dhal, asafotida powder and fry till urad dhal turns light brown. Add curry leaves and fry for a while. Add the cooked banana florets. Fry nicely till raw smell of the powders goes off. Add coconut gratings and mix well.