Unniyappam means small ricecake in Malayalam. This is a popular snack in Kerala and is usually made using rice flour, jaggery and banana. You need a special mould(unniappa chatti) to make these round-shaped unniyappams. As we don't have the unnippa chatti (see pic below) at home here , we made the unniappams in a different shape.
What you need to make Unniappam :
- Rice flour- 500 grams(lightly roasted)
- Small banana - 2 (mashed)
- Jaggery - 200 grams (more or less as to taste)
- Milk - 1 cup ( optional )
- Coconut bits - 1/2 cup
- Cardamom - 10 to 12
- Ghee - 2 tbsp ( optional )
- A pinch of salt
- Melt jaggery with little water and make a thick syrup out of it. Strain to take out any impurities. Cool the syrup.
- To a mixing bowl, add rice flour, mashed banana, cardamom powder, salt, coconut bits, ghee, jaggery syrup,milk and mix well to form a thick batter. Let the batter sit for an hour.
- On low medium heat , fry the unniyappams uncovered, till the bottom turns golden in color.
- Turn the unniyappam with help of a fork to cook on the other side to a golden color.
- Take out of the oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Tasty Unniappam is ready to be relished.