Qabooli or Chana daal Biriyani is a hyderbadi veg dish which is exquisite, aromatic and has rich flavors & taste. The basmati rice, chana dal, yogurt and spices cooked together in dum makes it a royal feast fit for Nawabs!
What you need for Chana Daal Biriyani:
- Chana daal -1 cup
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Ghee -2 tbsp
- Whole garam masala - 1 piece each(cardamom,aniseed,cinnamon,cloves ,bay leaf,fennel)
- Green chilli -2 slit
- Ginger garlic paste -1 tbsp
- Mint -few
- Coriander powder -few
- Chilli powder -1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tbsp
- Coriander powder -1 tbsp
- Curd -2tbsp
- Fried onion - 1 onions fry
- Lemon juice -1 tbsp
- Saffron -few strands soaked in warm milk (optional)
- Salt to taste
The Preparation Method:
- Boil the chana daal with salt,turmeric powder and chilli powder till it become soft. Keep it aside
- Fry the onions in little oil or ghee till they are brown and keep it aside.
- Cook the rice till it is 90 % cooked along with lemon juice,oil and salt and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in the biriyani cooking pot. Add whole garam masala.pieces, green chilli,ginger garlic paste,mint leaves,coriander leaves.
- Saute till the raw smell goes away then add curd,coriander powder, chilli powder and salt.
- To this add cooked chana daal and mix well.
- Then add one layer rice then spread some fried onion.then add the remaining rice and spread the fried onion.Add the saffron and lemon juice on the top.Cook it in low flame with covered lid for 5 minutes.
- Tasty Chana daal biriyani is ready to be served with raita.