We were bored with the usual weekend breakfast and decided to be little creative. The result was the Chole Sandwich which was surprisingly tasty and filling.
What you need for Chole Sandwich:
- Wheat or white bread - 4 slices
- Chole - 1 cup ( soaked in water overnight or get a cooked can).
- Onion - 1 ( chopped finely )
- Tomato puree - 2 tbsp
- Tamarind sauce mixed with 1/4 tsp sugar - 1 tbsp
- Yoghurt - 2 tbsp
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Garam masala or chhole masala - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves/Cilantro - a few leaves
- Salt and lemon juice - to taste
The Preparation Method
- Pressure cook the chole for atleast 3 whistles and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions till they become soft.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste followed by the tomato puree.
- Next, mix the tamarind paste in the yogurt and blend well.
- Add this to the tomato puree.
- Add all the spices and the drained chickpeas, then cover and let it cook for 10-15 mins, until the chickpeas are thoroughly cooked and become soft.
- Adjust salt according to taste sprinke, lemon juice and spices
- Remove from heat and keep aside to cool a little.
- Garnish your Chana Masala with some onion rings and chopped coriander.
- Take each slice of bread; remove the edges and cut into desired shapes if you want.
- Toast the bread slices in a regular toaster.
- Spread the chole masala on the bread slice like you would spread jam or butter.