Jeera rice is the most simple of all flavoured rices and is excellent accompaniment with all curries.
What you need for Jeera rice:
- Basmati - 2 cups
- Jeera/Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
- Green Chilli - 2 slit
- Coriander leaves - a few leaves
- Whole garam masala - few pieces of cardamom,cloves,bay leafs,cinnamon
- Mint - a few leaves
The preparation method:
- Wash rice well before cooking. Add 3-3/4 cup water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds start spluttering, add whole garam masalas and fry it for some time.
- Add the slit green chillies,mint leaves and fry it for some time.
- Add rice and salt & mix well.
- Add sufficient water(usually 1:2 ratio of rice to water).Cook till the water gets evaporated and rice is well cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and tasty but simple Jeera rice is ready to be served with any curry.