Chicken Stew is a popular Kerala cuisine.Stew is made with coconut milk and Malabar coast spices. In Kerala in particular it is commonly eaten with appams or rice flour pancakes for breakfast or Sunday brunch.The dish can be made milder still by reducing the green chilli
What you need to prepare Kerala Chicken Stew:
- Chicken - 500g cut and cleaned
- Onions - 2 medium
- Tomato - 2 small
- Curry leaves - few
- coriander leaves - chopped few
- Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tbsp
- Green chillies - 2 slit
- Garam masala - 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder - 2 tbsp
- Coconut milk - 2 cups
- Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
The preparation method:
- Grind coconut in little water to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil and sauté chopped onion.When transparent, add garlic and ginger paste.Stir well for few seconds.
- Add chicken, salt, pepper powder, garam masala ,curry leaves and tomatoes.
- Pour coconut milk and allow to cook.Cook until chicken is done, add more coconut milk if needed.
- When the chicken is cooked well, pour the blended coconut paste to this.Mix well allow to boil.
- Add lemon juice, check salt and remove from fire.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves on top.
- Tasty Kerala Chicken Stew is ready to be served hot with Appam/Dosa or just plain rice.