Rava kesari is a soft halwa or pudding made from semolina (rava), milk (or water) and lots of ghee. It is traditionally served slightly warm, but tastes equally good chilled. When served warm, the kesari has a soft, almost melt in the mouth texture.The best way to eat kesari (and most Indian food) is with your fingers and definitely not with a cold metal spoon :-)
What you need to prepare Rava Kesari :
- Rava/Sooji - 2 cups
- Sugar - 1.5 cups
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Milk - 2.5 cups
- Cashews - few
- Cardamoms - few
- Raisins - few
- Food Color(Orange or Yellow color) - a pinch
- Saffron/kesari - a pinch dissolved in warm milk
- Heat a pan and melt the ghee and fry the cashews and raisins in this ghee and keep aside.
- In the same pan roast the rava or sooji till light pink and keep aside.
- Now in the same pan heat the milk and to this add the food colour / kesari and when it has boiled,add the rava slowly stirring all the time.
- Keep stirring is to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Once the rava or sooji is cooked on medium heat,add the sugar and mix well.
- Keep on stirring until the rava is well cooked and does not stick to the pan.
- Now add the fried cashews,raisins and cardamom pods / powder.
- Rava kesari is ready to be served warm or cold.