Sundal is a popular South Indian snack which a must during Navarathri festival and no visit to the Chennai beach is complete without devouring the yummy sundal.
For us , it is an easy to prepare evening snack. All you need to ensure is that you soak the chickpeas overnight or at least 8 hrs.
What you need to make Chickpea Sundal:
- Chick Peas, soaked overnight - 1 cup (we used black chickpea)
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tbsp
- Green Chilli - 2 ( as per desired spiciness)
- Curry leaves - a few leaves
- Grated Coconut - as much you need for garnishing
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp ( as per desired sourness)
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tbsp
- Urad Dal - 1/4 tbsp
- Channa Dal - 1/4 tbsp
- Red Chilli - 1
- Ginger Paste - 1/4 tbsp
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) - 2 tbsp or Chopped Raw Mango
The preparation method :
- Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas with salt for 4-5 whistles. Drain when done.
- In a pan , heat oil and add mustard seeds. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves,green chilli ( and other optional ingredients except Amchur or raw mango pieces which we will add in the end).
- Fry for a minute and then add cooked chickpea. Add the lemon juice and garnish with the scraped coconut.
- Viola ! We are done.Yummy chickpea sundal is ready to for your tasting pleasure(visualize a beach scene for proper effect)