Olan is a popular dish that is part of the Kerala cuisine. It is usually prepared from raw pumpkin is a mandatory part of a Malayali Sadhya or Feast.
What you need for Olan:
- Pumpkin-1/2 cut into thin squares
- Red gram/Vella payyar-1 cup soaked in water for 4-5 hrs
- Green Chilli-3 slit (according to spice level)
- Coconut milk-1 cup
- Salt to taste
The preparation method:
- Pressure cook red gram/Vella payyar and set aside.
- Boil the raw pumpkin along with salt and green chilli along with little water in a pan.
- Once the pumpkin is cooked , add the coconut milk and mix well.
- Cook till you see the first bubble coming up.
- Yummy Olan is ready to served hot for the Sadhya/feast.