Puzhukku is a type of warm salad where starchy veggies (like tubers or green plantains) are cooked with spices and coconut, mashed (while retaining their shape), and served topped with curry leaves and a drizzle of coconut oil.
This dish is specifically made for Thiruvathira Noyambu - a fast kept by women on this auspicious day, with the prayer to get good husbands and of course the married ones pray for well being of their husbands.
What you need for Puzhukku:
- Elephant Yam (Chena)-2 small
- Asiatic yam (Kachil)-1(small size)
- Sweet potato-1
- Raw Banana-2
- Potato-2 (small size)
- Green chilly-4
- Pearl onion-8
- Red gram or red moong dhal-1 cup
- Grated coconut-1 cup
- Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves-6 leaves
- Coconut oil-1 tsp
The preparation method:
- Cook red moong gram/dhal with little salt.
- Cut all roots (1- 6) into 1 inch cubes.
- Grind green chilly,salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook all roots with 5 pearl onions and the ground paste in a pressure cooker by adding 1/2 cup water(don't add more water since the veggies have water our dish is not a watery one). Wait for 3 whistles. Turn off the stove and keep it for 10 minutes.
- Blend coconut,cumin seeds and 3 pearl onions.
- Add the cooked dhal, blended mix and curry leaves.
- Mix well and keep on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Turn of the flame and add coconut oil and mix it again.