In Tamil, "Paruppu" means dal and "usili" means broken crumbles. This is a highly nutritious recipe with minimum fat and oil. In combination with brocolli,this is one of the highly nutritious dishes we make at home.
What you need for Broccoli Parippu Usili:
- Broccoli-1/2 kg
- Chana dal-1 cup
- Red chilli-3
- Mustard seed-1tbsp
- Asfoedita-1/2 pinch
- Salt to taste
The Preparation method:
- Soak the channa dal in water for at least 1 hrs.
- In a blender add the soaked Bengal Gram Dal,Salt, Asafoetida, 2 Red chili and grind them coarsely by adding as minimum water as possible.
- Remove the grounded paste to a steaming vessel and steam them for about 20 minutes. Once steamed remove it and set aside to cool.
- Wash and separate the Broccoli floret's and cut them to small tit bits, cook then ( i microwaved for 6 minutes)
- Drain the excess water from the cooked Broccoli.
- Scramble the steamed Usili paste.
- Meantime heat a pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil and then add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds,
when it starts spluttering add the split gram Dal, curry leaves(optional) and the cooked broccoli
and fry them approx,5 -10 minutes, or till it becomes dry.
- Add salt just for the Broccoli and then add the scrambled Usili paste.