Bhindi (Okra) Masala is a delicious main course vegetable dish which is made by sauting bhindi with spices.
What you need for Bhindi masala:
- Ladies finger - 15 chopped fine
- Onion - 1 chopped fine
- Green chilli - 2 slit
- Tomato - 1 chopped fine
- Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
The preparation method:
- Wash the okra under running water. Cut off the ends of the okra. Pat the okra dry with a clean kitchen towel. If you leave them wet, your dish will end up sticky and slimy. Slice into halves and set aside.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add cumin seeds.Stir-fry the onions until they become translucent. Throw in all the spices except the garam masala and stir-fry for another minute. Add the tomatoes and cook the mixture over medium-high heat. Stir constantly till it takes on a uniform consistency. You will be left with a thick sauce. Now add the okra and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Ensure that the okra is evenly coated with the sauce. But do not stir vigorously as this will cause the okra to get mashed. Cover and steam over medium heat until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Serve the okra on a warm serving plate and sprinkle the garam masala over it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. You could also add chopped onions to spice up the dish.
- Tasty Bhindi Masala is ready to be served hot with roti.