Varutharacha means fried and grounded.The main ingredient in this dish is fried coconut with masalas which is then ground fine. This gives an unique taste to chicken curry.
What you need to make Varutharacha Chicken Curry
- Chicken - ½ kg (boneless)
- Coconut (grated) - 1 cup
- Ginger - 1 inch long piece
- Garlic - 6 no.
- Green chilli - 6 no.
- Small onions - 1 cup
- Big onions - 1 chopped fine
- Tomato - 1 chopped fine
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - ½ tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Heat two teaspoons of oil in a pan and fry the grated coconut. Put coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and stir well. When the mixture becomes brown in colour, make it into a paste and keep it aside.
- Now take a pan and heat some oil. Add some curry leaves. To this, add the mixture comprising small onions, ginger, green chillies and garlic. Fry for some time. Now add the chicken pieces along with salt and stir. Pour about two cups of water. Stir gently. Close the pan and cook for some time.
- Open the pan and add big onions and tomatoes. Pour some more water. Now cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes.
- You may now remove the lid and add the grounded masala kept aside. Add some more water. Stir well. Put some curry leaves. Cook for another ten minutes on low flame.
- Now get ready to relish this spicy chicken dish.